There is no shortage of top ten lists or funny wine quotes clogging the web and promoting the positive effects of wine consumption. If Halloween is a health risk then the best way to avoid over indulging in mass-produced sugar products is to eat a proper meal and focus (in moderation, of course) on a good glass of wine. The sugar won’t stand a chance at tugging the heartstrings or clogging up the arteries with a good bottle of red staring down at you.
The great food and beverage writer M.F.K Fisher wrote, “I can no more think of my own life without thinking of wine and wines and where they grew for me and why I drank them when I did and why I picked the grapes and where I opened the oldest procurable bottles, and all that, than I can remember living before I breathed.”
Step aside Mr. Letterman, here are my top ten reasons to share a glass this Halloween.
1. You will sound much more intelligent when answering the question, “trick or treat?”
2. Nothing says “thank you neighbour” like a good coffee mug full of red wine
3. It’s the quickest way to erase the memory of #Sandy
4. The weather forecast is for cloudy with a chance of wine
6. It will really help to make those homemade costumes look like Oscar winning wardrobes
7. Two words: wine gums
8. Why should this night be different from any other?
9. The doorbell rings every few seconds and beer takes much longer to pour
10. It rhymes with Frankenstein
Here is what I will be pouring tonight for Halloween (with tasting notes).
Cordella Rosso Di Montalcino 2009 (251462) puts forth a flavour profile making it a dead ringer for a young Brunello. The initial noisome squall gives way to iron scents and the taste of spicy plums. Very approachable, fresh and vibrant. Great food wine for the here and now. 90
Peique Tinto Mencía 2010 (219204) vanquishes hardship for violet pleasure. Sublunary stones rolling through subterranean tar beds of caramelizing sugars. Roses and red berry fruit rise from the burn. 88
Another option is to transform your wine bottle into a scary libation. Here’s a video to show you how: